celebratory sushi

I Survived My First Week At Work!

“Sometimes I’m so tired, I look down at what I’m wearing, and if it’s comfortable enough to sleep in, I don’t even make it into my pajamas. I’m looking down, and I’m like, ‘T-shirt and stretchy pants? Yup, that’s fine. It’s pajama-y, good night.'” ~ Rebecca Romijn

I made it through my first week of work.

I wasn’t sure that I would.

At one point I did think that I might well die of tiredness first.

Between the getting up super early, which I haven’t had to do for seven months, the commuting, the having to spend whole days on doing something, all the new things that I’ve had to learn, and the large quantities of highly sedating drugs that the doctor gave me to ensure that I’d be able cope with the adjustment I’ve been as tired as I ever have in my life.

Monday to Wednesday simply consisted of – get up, go to work, go home from work, fall asleep on the sofa, wake up, then go to bed until it’s time to get up for work again.

On Thursday I managed two hours of struggling desperately to stay awake and catch up with the person I live with before the falling asleep on the couch bit.

And on Friday I went for celebratory sushi but was still unconscious by 10pm.

The job itself is fine.

The people are nice enough.

IT haven’t gotten around to sorting me out with a computer yet, although we, the group of us who just started, spent the first week in training anyway so it hasn’t mattered too much.

We’ve covered a lot but for the most part it’s all stuff I’ve done before. I don’t get the sense that the job is going to be particularly challenging, but then given that my doctor is skeptical that I’m actually well enough to be going back to work that’s quite possibly a good thing.

And after I sort of accidentally took over delivering the training session we were in mid-week the trainer lady did say that there were always plenty of other opportunities within the company.

The main thing is that it should hopefully allow me to get back on feet – mentally, emotionally, and financially.

I meant to catch up on my life and blog stuff this weekend but I’ve spent most of the time on more sleeping and a chunk of it on revising for a test we have to take next week.

Hopefully as I get back into the swing of things it’ll start to become less exhausting and I’ll be able to find something a lot closer to a work life balance. I really want to find the energy to write because I’ve had loads of ideas while I’ve been sitting on a train for two hours every day with nothing better to do.

8 thoughts on “I Survived My First Week At Work!”

  1. This is brilliant, you’ve done so well & you neeeeeed to see that.
    I remember when I went back to work, it was so terrible I thought I was going to cry. It should get easier, or at least, I hope it does. xxx


  2. I’m so glad it went well, and i have no doubt you will got more used to being back at work again and the tiredness will fade. Oh, and it’s brilliant about the training session. That shows you have the ambition to get on, and it sounds like chances will be there for you to advance as and when you want to.
    Be proud of this week! Big hugs ___0___/


I'd love to hear what you think...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s