Cat-AWOL

I’ve been AWOL again. This time I blame it entirely on Natalie Portman.

Natalie Portman is the kitten I adopted ten days ago after she was abandoned where I work.

It’s been a bit more of an adjustment than I was expecting. I had a cat when I was growing up, and I mostly seem to remember her sleeping all day.

But she was born when I was only very small myself, so I just didn’t remember the demanding kitten phase, where they want to be played with all the time and think that 5am is a perfectly reasonable time for everyone in the household to be up in a morning. Never mind that there’s nowhere anyone has to be until 10.30.

I’m ashamed to say that the clash between Natalie Portman’s abandonment issues and my commitment phobia actually had me contemplating trying to pass her on at one point last week. Albeit only briefly.

My furniture has had to be completely shrouded in towels to protect it from young Natalie’s claws, especially since she developed an interest in parkour.

She thinks that every piece of rubbish is a toy.

And after I spent a mini fortune today on buying her proper cat toys she’s spent the whole of this evening playing with a plastic plug cover.

Not to mention that she follows me everywhere I go when I’m at home, she’ll only go to sleep if she’s allowed to do so on top of me, and she resents me leaving her for work so much that I’m faced with twenty minutes of strident miaowing every time I come back.

Although her attempts at overcoming her innate fear of water so that she could join me in the shower were quite amusing to watch.

But I think we’re just about settling down and getting used to each other now.

I’ve learned that her absolute favourite thing to eat is sardines.

Or whatever I’m having.

Even if it’s broccoli.

And she’s learned that it doesn’t matter how hard she tries she will never succeed in convincing me that there should ever be more than one five o’ clock in a day.

Or more than one six o’ clock for that matter. I only have a fifteen minute commute to work for Christ sake’s. And that’s on a truly horrendous day.

And after all, she does look like this:

About these ads

Tags: , , ,

33 Comments on “Cat-AWOL”

1. Jess September 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM #

Your cat is super CUTE! oh i wish i could have a pet where i live!

2. thedapperlass September 6, 2012 at 1:57 AM #

Aw, she is so cute! I rescued a kitten a couple of years back who had been abandoned. She was also really clingy for a while.

• makeupandmirtazapine September 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM #

Thank you. And well done you for rescuing yours. My colleagues all keep telling me that she’ll settle down eventually.

3. nikkiana September 6, 2012 at 1:49 AM #

Aww! She’s absolutely darling…

4. Cas September 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM #

She is a cute kitty! Kitties are love, :)!

5. WeeGee September 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM #

Aww I love kittens and she is an especially lovely one. Have lot’s of fun with her while she’s little. They grow up so fast and before you know it all they do is sleep all day :-D

• makeupandmirtazapine September 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM #

I want her to stay small forever!

I don’t think she’s going to be an especially big cat though, she’s only got tiny paws. Animals that are going to grow up to be big tend usually seem to have large paws to grow into.

x

6. breakfastpixie September 5, 2012 at 7:01 AM #

I’m so happy to see that you have adopted such a cute little thing! She’ll have a happy life with you :)

x
    Sabrina

7. bbruabadfish2 September 5, 2012 at 3:47 AM #

What a cutie pie, she looks like our old cat puddin.

• makeupandmirtazapine September 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM #

Thank you. Now all I have to do is work out how to keep her kitten sized.

• bbruabadfish2 September 6, 2012 at 2:15 AM #

right lol, they grow up too fast and the stuff that use to make you saw aww makes you say damn that cat.

8. no shrinking viola September 5, 2012 at 2:23 AM #

Strays always have a way of picking just the right owner. The kitten phase is rough but she will settle down and get used to your schedule soon. Balled up tin foil and little pom poms from the craft store kept our kitties endlessly amused. Enjoy!

• makeupandmirtazapine September 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM #

I hadn’t thought of it like that, thank you.

I tried the balls of tin foil, thankfully they seem to have replaced carrier bags as her favourite thing. Which is a relief, not I don’t have to worry about her suffocating herself. So thanks for that as well!

9. escapingdarkness September 5, 2012 at 2:04 AM #

How gorgeous she is. I mean how can you resist a furry little face like that.
    My cat thinks anytime of the wee hours of the morning are a good time for a spoon and a belly rub. Cat toys are pointless, twigs, leaves, door stops plugs etc are much more fun and cheaper. You will be glad you kept her. I have had my two kitties for 12 years and I love them more and more the longer I have them. Kat :)

• makeupandmirtazapine September 6, 2012 at 12:37 AM #

She is lovely, she does a pretty good mean face when she’s not getting her own way though.

And thanks for the tips!

10. applejaxe September 5, 2012 at 1:38 AM #

She is beautiful :) what a lucky little girl to have you. Keep in mind that they pick you for a reason. You two were meant to be, I have one she is the best . . . and she runs the show. You saved a little ones life, enjoy your new journey together :)

11. Grace September 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM #

Lucky kitty.

12. scienerf September 5, 2012 at 1:01 AM #

Aww! beautiful little puss cat…that my Toby would try and chase lol. I’m glad you’ve decided to keep her, once she calms down I bet she’ll be so good for you :)

• makeupandmirtazapine September 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM #

I hope so, she keeps me busy, which keeps my mind of a bunch of things, so that’s good already. x

13. The Depressed Moose September 5, 2012 at 12:48 AM #

sounds like me with my new dog! at least you get the release of being at work and away for a few hours, my dog is worse than my shadow :D

14. The Reclining Gentleman September 5, 2012 at 12:07 AM #

She’s too cute <3

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. An Update | Make-Up and Mirtazapine - September 8, 2012

[...] much time as I’d have liked to devote to putting myself out there what with settling in the kitten. I’ve had enough work so far that I’m aiming to stop working outside of the weekday 9-5 [...]

I'd love to hear what you think...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,591 other followers